What Is NeuroTechnology™?
NeuroTechnology™ is designed to treat hearing loss by using complex stimulation patterns to help replace diminished auditory input to the brain. Traditional hearing aids just make things louder, but with today’s new NeuroTechnology™ treatment options you can hear more clearly and more naturally, in all listening environments – even in noisy restaurants!
Today’s NeuroTechnology™ hearing aids include the following features:
- Enhanced Clarity – to help fill in the missing speech details
- Noise-Cancellation Features – to help filter speech in noisy environments
- Soft-Speech Booster – to help you hear the ‘soft-speakers’ in your life (i.e. children and grandchildren, your spouse)
- Surround Sound Features
- Bluetooth connectivity to your smart devices
How Do Neurotechnology™ Hearing Aids Work?
There are different types of NeuroTechnology™ – each custom-designed and programmed to meet your hearing loss and your hearing needs, but they all ultimately perform the same function: to help you hear more clearly, and more naturally.
We hear with our BRAINS, not with our ears. Today’s NeuroTechnology™ is the only proven hearing loss treatment options with a focus on enhancing brain function by providing enhanced clarity surround-sound with background-noise canceling features.
NeuroTechnology™ can be used to address the full spectrum of hearing difficulties, from people with audiometric ‘normal hearing’ to individuals with severe to profound hearing loss.
What Are The Different Types Of Neurotechnology™ Hearing Aids?
NeuroTechnology™ comes in several ‘shapes and sizes’, including some invisible options for maximum discreteness. The hearing health care provider will review your treatment options based on your specific hearing loss and hearing needs. Regardless of which treatment option is right for you, whether you’re out to dinner with friends, hitting the beach, meeting with clients, or hiking, you’ll be able to hear what matters most with today’s hearing loss technology.
SEVERAL FEATURES AVAILABLE INCLUDE:
Invisible Treatment Options: Once placed in your ear, it’s hassle-free so that you may even forget you’re wearing the device! And that’s the point. Hearing loss shouldn’t hold you back, and neither should your hearing solution. Features in today’s invisible technology options include:
- An invisible and custom fit device that fits deep inside your ear canal and are personally customized to you for all-day comfort
- Easily adapt to new sounds with automatic volume control and adaptation to listening environment
- Wireless streaming to your smartphone and/or to keep you connected to your TV, music and other media
- Sound comfort technology designed to provide distortion-free listening comfort for loud sounds while ensuring ultimate hearing experience
Mini ‘Receiver In The Ear’ Options: Groundbreaking NeuroTechnology™ is fast and precise enough to analyze and follow the dynamics of the entire auditory environment, and differentiate between speech and background noise. Advances in miniaturization of technology have led to the breakthrough of new NeuroTechnology™ proven to support brain function, including working memory, selective attention, and processing speed (The Hearing Review: Dr. Desjardin, University of Texas, El Paso). These new devices have 3 features designed specifically to maintain the brain’s innate ability to hear in all different listening situations:
- Clear Hearing In Background Noise – By separating important speech from background noise by as much as 10dB, this new technology provides 30% better speech understanding and clarity in noise
- Enhanced Clarity = Enhanced Memory Recall – Individuals with hearing loss are known to have reduced memory recall because the brain is deprived of a clear signal. With 20% more capacity to remember, this technology is the only available option proven to increase memory recall
- Reduced Effort – Many of my patients explain that hearing requires effort as they age and that it can make them tired after a day at work or with their grandchildren. Current available technology is proven to provide a 20% reduction in listening effort in noisy environments.
In addition, some options include Bluetooth and Internet compatible options that enable:
- Hands-free wireless (surround sound) hearing on the phone
- Low-Battery reminders – devices can remind you by ear, phone, text or email that your batteries (or your spouse’s batteries) are low.
- Wireless compatibility with any TV to enhance the clarity of the signal.
- Allows for control of your Internet-connected devices at home including the thermostat, lights, and even certain cooking appliances (i.e. yes, your hearing devices can automatically turn on your coffee maker each morning!)
How Do I Take Care of My NeuroTechnology™ Hearing Aid?
Take Care of Your Neurotechnology™ and It Will Take Care Of You:
Regular maintenance and care of your Neurotechnology™ are critical to the success of the devices and for success in treating your hearing loss.
- Daily Care – Be sure to use the provided lint-free cloth to wipe down your technology at the end of each day. This regiment will ensure that oils from the skin, cerumen (ear wax), dandruff, etc., will not build on the unit and prevent proper stimulation of the auditory system. You may also find that the provided pick/brush can be helpful at removing cerumen embedded in the domes
- Weekly Maintenance – Your Neurotechnology™ must be provided an ample supply of power to run properly. Your batteries will be expected to last between 4-7 days, depending on your use, connectivity to devices (i.e. Bluetooth connectivity to your phone, tablet, home TV,) etc. When you hear the audible battery warning tone, be sure to change batteries in both units at the same time. For those patients with rechargeable batteries, be sure to properly place the units in the charging station every evening to obtain a full charge
- Monthly Care – It is important that both the domes and the wax filters be changed on a monthly basis (it is possible that for some patients this be done on a more regular basis depending on the amount of cerumen build-up). Domes: The dome on your NeuroTechnology™ speaker plays a critical role in the acoustic performance of your units and is specifically calculated in to the prescriptive acoustic settings. Wax Baskets: These filters have been specifically designed to prevent cerumen from entering the speaker and causing damage to the units. As cerumen builds in the basket, it can intermittently (or permanently) prevent sound stimulation from the units
NOTE: In the rare case that your NeuroTechnology™ is malfunctioning and not providing ample stimulation please follow these 2 steps before calling the office: 1) change the batteries, and 2) change the wax basket. These are the cause of 98% of all hearing aid emergency appointments and can help save you time and travel! As always, you are welcome to call the office if you are uncomfortable with either of these and would like help.
How Do I Pay for Hearing Treatment?
Once you are comfortable and you know specifically which provider you want to treat you, your spouse, your parent or other family member, the next question typically is, “How much is this going to cost and how am I going to pay for this?”
I have always believed that the patient needs options to help them invest in proper hearing health care. A reputable practice understands that for some people the upfront investment in hearing healthcare can be prohibitive. Patients must be provided with options.
Cognitive Hearing Centers is proud to partner with TreatmentFi to provide all patients the opportunity to experience better hearing and improved cognition. This program is a revolutionary breakthrough in how patients afford the medical treatment of hearing loss.
The standard TreatmentFi subscription plan is $175 per month and includes all of your hearing health care needs. Customized plans are available to meet your hearing, cognitive and financial needs. TreatmentFi is your access to hassle-free, affordable hearing health care. Guaranteed!
With our TreatmentFi subscription program, we are able to provide, to all patients suffering from hearing loss, the clarity they need and the cognitive stimulation they require – all at an affordable set monthly price.
When Is the Best Time to Start Hearing Treatment?
Simple answer: if you are over 50 you should have your hearing evaluated. And if it is determined that you have a hearing loss, early treatment is the key to success with NeuroTechnology™.
A More Detailed Answer: I always stress the importance of early diagnosis and treatment of hearing loss to each of my patients.
The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, the American Academy of Audiology, and the American Medical Association have all considered the recommendation of including ‘hearing evaluation/screening’ between the age of 50-60 years young. I often use the catchphrase ‘Ears and Rears’ as my way of getting people to remember to have their hearing checked when they turn 50 (and of course, have a colonoscopy, too!).
Similar to going to your primary care physician every year, obtaining a baseline hearing test can help to better serve you and your clinician to guide the medical recommendation at current or future appointments. Obtaining a baseline of normal hearing never hurt anyone!
Regardless of age, if you are noticing any of the symptoms of hearing loss, e.g. difficulty hearing in noisy situations, difficulty hearing the TV (compared to others), if your family is suggesting you get a hearing test, or if you have ringing in your ears (defined as Tinnitus).
Unfortunately waiting too long can significantly impact the expectations and outcome of treatment, and sadly every Audiologist I know has a patient they have had to tell they waited too long and the benefits of treatment will be minimal.
As one of the premier hearing centers in Folsom & Placerville, CA our team at Cognitive Hearing Centers also provide 5-star-rated hearing care to patients from Orangevale, El Dorado Hills, Fair Oaks, Pollock Pines & Diamond Springs, CA and Surrounding Areas.